Friday, June 10, 2022

More on clouds

 In my blog entry of June 8, 2022 I shared some tweets from the National Interagency Fire Center (NIFC) from their twitter account (NIFC). In today's post I want to share a little more information about clouds. Now I am a weather enthusiast and not a Meteorologist so I want to post what I hope is good information. I don't know about you, but I find videos to be very useful, and I wanted to find a video about clouds from the National Weather Service or one of the NWS Forecast Offices. I lucked out and found this tutorial on cloud types from the NWSAlbuquerque. Allow about five minutes to watch the video. I am glad that mention lenticular (wave clouds) that are somewhat common in New Mexico and elsewhere in the western United States.

Direct link to video from NWSAlbuquerque on YouTube


The National Weather Service has an education page that may be found here with several links to resources for weather education. One of the links you will find on this page is a link for the NWS Jetstream (online) weather education school. One of their modules is on clouds. However, to get the full benefit of the cloud module, you may want to click on begin on the Jet Stream site where you will learn about the atmosphere, the ocean, and global weather before you get to clouds (fourth of sixteen modules). The cloud module includes a nice interactive cloud chart (scroll to the bottom of the window) where you may click on an image to learn more about that cloud. There is a stand alone version of the sky chart, i have a paper copy that is large enough for easy viewing, a pdf version may be found here. Note all links that I mention in this paragraph were accessed on June 10, 2022. Sometimes these links change so if you are arriving here and the  the links do not work that is why.

No comments: