Wednesday, March 08, 2023

2023 New Jersey Wildfire Season: Governors Branch Fire (Little Egg Harbor) contained: follow-up


Direct link to video from CBS3 in Philadelphia on YouTube (thanks to NJFFS Section B10 for the link)

Early yesterday afternoon, a wildfire was reported in Little Egg Harbor Township (Ocean County, NJ) that eventually burned 418 acres before being contained yesterday evening. See my second March 7th post of for more information. The wildfire was named the Governors Branch Wildfire because of its proximity to a Creek of the same name. I thought that some of you might be interested in the coverage by Fox29 Philadelphia about this fire. their article with a video may be found here, reporting that marshy areas near the fire helped in the containment. There were no injuries and no property damage. The cause of the wildfire is under investigation.

I do not know the precise location of the Governors Branch Fire, but I had enough information (I hope) to provide you with a couple of images from Google Earth. I have driven on the major road, Route 539 in that area of Little Egg Harbor Township in years past, so have an idea of the location.

The first image from Google Earth is an overview where I have marked some of the geography that I referenced in my first mid afternoon post yesterday.

Image taken from Google Earth on March 8, 2022

I then took what I hope is closer view of the area where the Governors Branch burned showing the Governors Branch Creek and other nearby waterways.

Image taken from Google Earth on March 8, 2022


No comments: