Monday, May 13, 2024

2024 Wildfire Season: Acadia National Park, Maine


Direct link to video from News Center Maine on YouTube

Thanks my friends at the B10 NJ Wildland Fire Page for sharing a short video this morning about a wildfire on St. Sauveur Mountain in Acadia National Park that was reported about 5 PM on Saturday, May 11th, see this post from the Bangor Daily News. I know that a helicopter and bucket from the Maine Forest Rangers flew the fire, I do not know how many drops he made nor do I know the size of the wildfire. I believe but am not certain that the wildfire is extinguished.

Having grown up in Massachusetts and spending time on the coast of Maine as a child and a couple of times as an adult I have am especially fond of Maine. I have only been to Acadia National Park once, as an adult 21 years ago. It was very special to spend a couple of days at the Acadia and see first hand some of the majesty of Acadia, I am sure that are things that I missed. I do not believe that I hiked on St. Sauveru Mountain.

Kudos to all the wildland firefighters on the ground and in the air as well as other fire fighters who responded to the wildfire. 

Pilot Chris Blackie in Ranger 905


Photos from the Maine Forest Rangers of the wildfire at Acadia

No comments: