Sunday, May 24, 2009

Reflections, S-2T's, SEATs and initial attack

I love the light tankers (S-2T’s and single-engine air tankers) in a special way. Perhaps it is because I live in NJ, and I have grown to appreciate and the role that single-engine air tankers (SEATs) have in initial attack (and extended attack). And it is not only NJ that uses SEATs, many states contract for SEATs. In the case of NJ, I am aware that the majority of our wildland fires are small in size. I also know that during our spring season that the NJ Forest Fire service deployed SEATs and helicopters to fires that were only a couple of acres in size. I am aware of this because of a couple of websites that I have followed, not because of the media.

Some of you know that I got interested in wildland fire fighting last July because I have a couple of friends who lived in or near the area burned by the Basin Complex Fires. And I have written about a couple of other larger California fires. I have written about CAL FIRE’s S-2T’s. Up until now, I have neglected to write about the very important role the S-2T’s, a light tanker, play in initial attack. Until now when I want to focus on initial attack.

California has an impressive number of large fires that make national news. I don’t know the numbers, but most of California’s fires are small in size, being 2, 5, or 10 acres. I have recently engaged in an e-mail exchange with an experienced air tanker pilot who will be flying S-2T’s this year. He was telling me about the importance of initial attack in keeping fires small and manageable until ground crews can get in:

Regarding the use of tankers, the best tactic is initial attack. In initial attack, S-2T tankers and helicopters are deployed to the wildfire as soon as possible in order to stop the spread and hold until ground troops have access and put it out. The goal is to keep the fire small: 2, 5, 10 acres maximum so it is ‘easy’ to manage. Roughly ninety-seven percent of fires in California are put out this way. The public may not hear about it. But...if you're not aggressive enough you get behind the power curve and then get complicated fast (wind, fuel, terrain...).


I understand that things can get complicated, especially with the drought, sundowners and the Santa Ana winds. And the terrain. I get that. Sometimes initial attack is not going to keep the fire small. But most of the times it does. How many houses have been saved, lives saved? You light tanker pilots -- the workhorses of CAL FIRE, other State fire fighting agencies, and the national fleet -- what you do is special. I want you to know that.


No comments: