Thursday, May 28, 2009

Raw footage of CA-SCU Mustang - Wildland Fire - Henry Coe Park

A couple of weeks ago I was reading the initial attack hotlist forums on wildlandfire.com where I found a link to some raw footage from ktvu of a wildland fire that was then burning near Santa Clara, CA. This is about four minutes of footage, probably shot from a news helicopter. About one or two minutes into the video, you will see a tanker making a retardant drop. I am not sure, but I wonder if it is a CAL FIRE S-2T.

I am posting this because I found the footage interesting, for the shots of the smoke and flames, and the shot of the tanker retardant drop. Finally, if you look at the top of the ridges in the video, especially after the shot of the retardant drop, you can see the "red" retardant line on the top of the ridge.

There is some information on this fire in this thread on wildlandfire.com's initial attack hotlist forum.

In addition, you might want to go here where the blogger reports on the Mustang Fire (dated May 13) and includes some shots from the ktvu footage and a map of the fire area. For a larger view of this map, go here. The blog I referred you to, among other things, reports on fires in CA and is not affiliated with any government agency.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link to the video footage. Pretty interesting. Oh, and by the way, that blog you mentioned is not associated with any government agency. It's just a guy writing about fire, earthquakes, and kidnappings.

Random Ramblings NJ said...

I want to thank my anonymous friend for pointing out that I was wrong in saying that the blog I mentioned in this post was affiliated with a government agency. I have just corrected this post, removing my incorrect reference. I also added a link to a wildlandfire.come forum thread where I first learned about the fire.