Monday, August 20, 2012

Ponderosa Fire (CA)



I was reading about the Ponderosa Fire last night on this lengthy initial attack hotlist thread on WildlandFire, and I thought that some of you might be interested in some information about this fire. The Ponderosa fire started on Saturday, Aug. 18. As I write this, the Ponderosa fire, burning in Tehama and Shasta Counties in California, has burned 15,000 acres and is at 5% containment. Seven structures have been destroyed and evacuation orders are in place.

There is a nice synopsis of the aerial resources that were working the Ponderosa Fire over the weekend that I found on this thread on Smokeshowin. I understand that in addition to CAL FIRE S-2T's,  both DC-10 tankers from 10 Tanker Corp. (T-910 and T-911), two MAFFS, and Neptune's Bae-146 T-40 worked the fire at some point over this past weekend. In addition, I think but am not certain, that some helos were working the fire as well. KCRC News Channel 7 has some footage, dated Aug. 19, of the Ponderosa Fire shot from a helicopter. I don't seem able to embed that video, but I hope you take three or four minutes to go to the link and watch the video where you will see a few aircraft working the fire.

Bill Gabbert of WildFire Today writes about the Ponderosa Fire and its proximity to the a wildfire burning in Lassen NP in an article dated Aug. 19, 2012.

A direct link to the video that I tried to embed above (dated Aug. 19) from CBS in San Francisco CA may be found here, an associated story from CBS in San Francisco is found on this webpage. KRCR News Channel 7 has a report on the Ponderosa Fire that you might want to check out.

No comments: