Monday, August 06, 2012

Remembering Mann Gulch


I was reminded about the Mann Gulch Fire last week when I read this post on Wildfire Today. On Aug. 5, 1949, 13 smokejumpers died fighting the Mann Gulch Fire.

You see, when I got interested in wildland firefighting, I knew that a former professor of mine from grad school, Mark, might be able to help me. I knew that Mark had been interested in forestry as a young man. When I was preparing for an exam, I read a little about forestry (under Mark's direction) for an exam in rural planning.

I had kept in touch with Mark over the years since I finished grad school, so I figured I had nothing to lose by contacting Mark to ask him to suggest books on wildland fire fighting. He did not disappoint. He suggested that I read Norman Maclean's book, Young Men and Fire about the Mann Gulch Fire and the smoke jumpers who died there. I read the book. I'm not quite sure what to say except that I was moved by what I read. And by the end of the book, I knew that I wanted to learn more. I suspect that I would have heard about the Mann Gulch Fire on my own at some point, but I'm glad that I read about this fire early on.

So, I'd like to thank Mark for suggesting the book to me, and for his support of me over the years, including my efforts here on this blog. Thanks Mark!

 I found the video that I embedded here on the Mann Gulch Fire from archives.org, on this page.

Added on June 15, 2016: I don't think that either the link or the embedded video on this article is working. Over the next several days, I'll try to take some time to get new links for you. Please be patient. 

No comments: