Thursday, May 15, 2014

More wildfires in San Diego County, CA

I am somewhat embarrassed to admit that when I wrote about the Bernardo Fire In San Diego County, CA yesterday I did not realize that there were a few other wildfires burning in San Diego County at the same time. Fortunately, Bill Gabbert of Wildfire Today has been doing his usual excellent job of reporting, covering these fires in an article first posted on May 14th (with a map and photos) and a second article first posted on May 15th (with another map). I was following the reporting on these fires from two San Diego broadcast news outlets, CBS8 news and ABC7.

I found this video, which I am embedding included in a report from ABC7 on the DC-10 tanker working the fire in San Marco



I was following the Poinsettia Fire, which at last report from the City of Carslbad has burned 22 residences and was 50 percent contained. As many as 11,600 people were evacuated at one point yesterday, at least some of those folk were allowed back into their residences late last night. I wasn't following the Coco Fire, that has burned 700 acres according to CAL FIRE's incident page for the Coco Fire because it is several miles west of the Poinsettia Fire.

CAL FIRE has a current incident page where information on all or most of the fires that burned yesterday and into today in San Diego County may be found.

Finally, according to CAL FIRE's latest update available on the Bernardo Fire as I wrote this article (7:30 AM PDT) has burned 1,548 acres and is at 75 percent containment.

No comments: