Monday, May 10, 2010

Kudos to the New Jersey Forest Fire Service

We are in the middle of our third day in a row of red flag warnings, I want to pause and say:

kudos to all at the New Jersey Forest Fire Service for all that you do protect us here in NJ.

I know that it has been a tough couple of days for you. You did a great job containing the major fire, Baffin Brook Fire in Pemberton Twsp. (Burlington County) over the weekend. A 450 wildfire is a major fire, at least for us here in NJ. But it could have been a whole lot worse. And no structures were damaged, and there were minimal injuries to one firefighter, I believe. There were numerous other fires of varying sizes on Saturday that kept you busy around the State. And after mid-afternoon that day, the high winds grounded your aircraft.

If I am correct, the wildfire activity yesterday (Sunday, May 9) were small in size and quickly brought under control.

Today, many of you are continuing to patrol your areas to watch out for early signs of wildfires on this day of red flag warnings covering much of the State. The winds are much lighter today, so I suspect that your SEATs are responding, as warranted on initial attack. I don't know what you are finding today, I guess I'll find out later. And as they say, no news is good news.

Thank-you and stay safe!

No comments: