Wednesday, May 12, 2010

wildland firefighting ground crews



I have been thinking recently about the role that airtankers and helos play in supporting the fire fighting crews on the ground. So, I am going to spend a little time here on the crews on the crews on the ground.

I found the video that I embedded above recently As you can see it is a video from the Oregon Department of Forestry recruiting wildland fire fighters. I like the video because it provides what I think is a nice overview of the kind of work that wildland firefighters do, including the physical demands. I also like the photography and videography.

I am not going to even try to speak for the hiring practices of the different wildland firefighting agencies, whether the be public (state or federal) or private. But some jobs on wildland firefighting crews are temporary, summer employment. And with the spring college/university terms finishing up, perhaps this means that recruiting for these jobs has already happened.

No comments: