Friday, August 13, 2010

Smokey the Bear turned 66 on Aug 9


Smokey the Bear turned 66 the past Monday. What I remember about Smokey the Bear is the slogan:

Only you can prevent forest fires.

That has been changed to: only you can prevent wild fires.

I think that about says it all. Over the last eighteen months since I began writing about aerial wildland firefighting, I have noticed that many fires are human caused. Of course, some fires have natural causes, such as fires caused by lightening. I don't suppose that we can do much about those.

But we can do something about human caused fires. Here are some things we can do:

campfire safety
debris burning
equipment maintenance
house safety

Some more links:
Smokey on Facebook
Smokey on Twitter

And here is a video of Eddy Arnold singing the Smokey the Bear song:

No comments: