Monday, February 20, 2012

Scenic flights and other projects

It has been a while since I have written about my scenic flights here. On average it seems like I go on one scenic flight every three to five weeks. It is important for me to fly, to continue my aviation journeys in the ways that I can.

For example, I hope to go on scenic flight tomorrow, if the weather cooperates. And hopefully the weather will. But if the weather looks like it will be marginal visual flight rule (MVFR) weather or worse and not good for a visual flight rules flight then I won't go. I decided that I am going to plan a course using dead reckoning. I had to learn dead reckoning when I was studying for the FAA private pilot written exam two years ago. I figure that the number crunching will be a good exercise, perhaps the pilot will want to use my dead reckoning and perhaps he won't. But I'll get the practice crunching the numbers.

Dead reckoning according the Pilot/Controller Glossary in the 2012 FAR/AIM (note 1):

"Dead reckoning as applied to flying, is the navigation of an airplane solely by means of computations based on airspeed, course, heading, wind direction, and speed, ground speed, and elapsed time."

Most of my previous scenic flights over the last two years have been done where the pilot has used VOR navigation.

I also have a couple of other aviation related projects that I am working on. One involves reading and studying more about weather. Briefly, I'm reading a meteorology text called Meteorology Today by David Ahrens. I like this text, so far I am able to follow along (more or less) reading and studying on my own. Self study of a college level meteorology text may not be everyone's cup of tea.

If not there is another book on weather written for the general population called The Weather Book: An Easy-to_understand Guide to the USA's Weather by Jack Williams. Williams wrote the book based on his work for USA Today on their weather page, he is also a pilot.

Finally, I am always interested in issues affecting aviation safety, and am doing some background reading and research on aviation safety related topics for future blog posts.

And all this is in addition to writing on aerial wildland firefighting as we enter the late winter and spring fire season here in America.
________________________________

Note 1: 2012 FAR/AIM (Federal Aviation Regulations Aeronautical Information Manual). U.S. Department of Transportation: From titles 14 and 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations. Updated and published by Aviation Supplies and Academics, Inc. (ASA): New Castle, Washington.

No comments: