Wednesday, September 05, 2012

A small wildland fire in a remote corner of Mt. Mansfield (VT)

I have been writing about some of the large wildland fires that have been burning in western areas of the U.S. last week. I turn today to a very small wildland fire that burned approximately two acres of dry mossy land in a steep and remote section of Mt. Mansfield in VT. The key words being remote and steep.

The fire burned near a ledge a short distance from the Taylor Lodge. The Taylor Lodge is off of the Long Trail in Nebraska Notch a couple of miles from Underhill Center, VT.

Here is a direct link (WCAX, Burlington VT) to the video that I have (hopefully) embedded below. The story may be found here

WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-


I called up the Green Mountain Club in Vermont for help in marking an approximate location of the Taylor Lodge on Google Earth. Please note, that I make no claims that this is the exact location of Taylor Lodge. However, the image below will give you an idea of where the fire was (not far from Taylor Lodge) and the remoteness of the area. I believe, but am not certain that they used Lake Mansfield as a water source. In the upper left corner of the image, I have marked Stevensville Rd. in Underhill Center for you.


Revised on October 12, 2015 to remove a dead link.

No comments: