Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Reflections on Firecats


We have never met, that doesn't really matter. I have one of your patches on a denim jacket I wear in the warmer weather and I have gotten many compliments on your patch. I also have a Conair Firecat medallion that I carry on my key chain. Both were gifts from a friend who used to be one of your pilots. So in some way, you are always with me.

I have known a couple of pilots who have flown you while you were in service with Conair in British Columbia. So, I know you through them. You and your cousins have flown fires around Canada, in Europe and in the United States (CAL FIRE).

You loved flying fires. Some of you and your kin bought the farm, but those of you who survived continued to fly fires, doing what you do best. 

Those of you who flew for Conair are now retired from firefighting service with Conair. Your service will not be forgotten. Not by those who flew you,  served as your ground crew and  your bird dog pilots; not by all those in and around the communities where you flew fires, and not by me.

May you always fly in favorable tail winds.


No comments: