Monday, January 07, 2013

Wildfires in Tasmania (Australia)

Video that I originally embedded here is no longer available and the link is removed (8/2/15)

Yesterday as I was driving I heard a report on the radio about wildfires burning in Tasmania (Australia) so I decided to try to find some more information for you. As you may know, it is summer down under and wildfire season. At the time I write this, this is what I know about the wildfires in Tasmania:

  • Wildfires started on Thursday, Jan. 3. 
  • At least 20,000 hectares (49,422 acres) have burned and this figure may be understated. 
  • At least 100 homes and other buildings have been destroyed. 
  • Approximately one hundred people are missing.
  • Wildfires burning in other States in Australia.
For more information:
Wildfire Today on Tasmania wildfires
Tales of survival and photo gallery from ABC Australia. I don't know any details about air support for the Tasmania wildfires, but I did see one photo of a helo with a bucket working one of the Tasmania wildfires in the photos from ABC Australia.
Wildfires in Tasmania from the Guardian
CBC on wildfires in Tasmania
More on Fires in Tasmania and fire danger elsewhere in Australia from the Guardian
Photo gallery from BBC

No comments: