Monday, February 25, 2013

Douglas A-26 Invader -- Introduction


I am not quite sure when I was first introduced to the Douglas A-26 Invader, so to speak. It may have been through reading Linc Alexander's Firebombers into Hell, or perhaps through a couple of books about tankers that I have. Or it could have been through watching the movie Always, where Richard Dreyfuss' character (Pete Sandiich) flys an A-26 tanker. After meeting a retired tanker pilot friend who used to fly an A-26 tanker (among others he flew) for Conair, I began to get this magnificent airplane a little better. So, I am writing a series of articles on the Douglas A-26 Invader. 

My timeline for posting these articles follows. I am still working on articles in this series, which will include embedded videos as I write this. So, I will be adding to the outline of articles in this series over the next couple of weeks.

Feb. 27: military history and specs

March 1: flying the A-26

March 4: restoring an A-26

March 6: A-26 in flight

March 8: intro to the A-26 as a tanker

No comments: