Monday, February 04, 2013

Pine Island Cranberry Bog (NJ) in the winter


Some of you know that I spent a day last October with my friends from Downstown Aero in Chatsworth NJ watching them load their AgCats and the AT-602 for aerial applications on some near by cranberry bogs. I watched them make a couple of aerial application runs and then visited two bogs, Pine Island Cranberry and Lee Brothers


I had hoped to be able to get back to the Chatsworth in late October to watch Downstown make their final aerial applications of the season on the bogs. Unfortunately, my power outage couplesd with a gasoline shortage as a result of SS Sandy conspired against this. I found myself thinking about the cranberry bogs recently. Fortunately, Pine Island Cranberry maintains a wonderful blog called the Pine Island Scoop. I had been wondering what they do after the harvest is over in November, their blog provided an answer. Most blog entries are accompanied by pictures so you really do get an up close and personal point of view in reading their blog.

Three of the many things that Pine Island does in the winter jumped out at me. First comes fall planting using rooted cuttings for the first time. During the winter "dormancy period", the cranberry buds mature. A severe winter can hurt and even kill the cranberry vines. In order to protect their cranberry crop, growers flood the bogs during the winters. The Pine Island blogger writes about the winter flooding of the bogs. After the bogs are flooded for the winter, one-fifth of the bogs are sanded. Sanding is important for cranberry yield and growth. Of course, winter is a good time for facilities maintenance.

I will visit the Pine Island Scoop from time to time and I hope that you do as well. I don't know when I'll get to go and see Downstown do aerial applications in the bogs again. Perhaps sometime in the upcoming season.  When I do, I'll write about here.

No comments: