Monday, April 01, 2013

NJFFS Division A Wildland Fire Fatality - Viewing



I took some time out from my writing and research to go and pay my respects to Jeff Scheuerer. You may recall from my last blog entry that Jeff Scheuerer was working on a prescribed burn with Division A of the New Jersey Forest Fire Service on the morning of March 28th when he was struck by a car. He did not survive his injuries. Jeff was also a long-time member of the Readington Volunteer Fire Department (RVFD) where he served as their safety officer. I believe that the truck you see on the right side of the photo is from the RVFD.

I got there early, so I took a little time to get this photo for you of the two fire trucks parked outside the Kearns Funeral Home in Whitehouse New Jersey where the viewing was. As expected, there was a large number of firefighters from both the New Jersey Forest Fire Service (NJFFS) and the Readington Volunteer Fire Department. There was an honor guard from the NJFFS and the RVFD. Before I signed the guest book, I went over and paid my respects to two members of the RVFD who were standing outside the door of the parlor. I went in and paid my respects, taking time to look at all of Jeff's firefighting gear and the photos. I found out that he served as District Warden, NJFFS Division A, Section 8, District 6.

I went over and paid my respect to Jeff's family, and then went to the back of the parlor. I watched members of the Readington Township NJ police department go up in groups of three to pay their respects. Following the police department, the wildland firefighters from the New Jersey Forest Fire Service went up in groups of three to pay their respects.

I found the whole experience profoundly moving. To my friends at the New Jersey Forest Fire Service and the Readington Volunteer Fire Department, I don't know whether or not it was important for you to know that I was there. I tried to be quiet and respectful, wanting to give you the space that you need at a time like this. But I was there and I do care.

For Jeff's family, friends, fellow firefighters, and all those who love him, I continue to keep you in my thoughts, prayers, and loving intentions.

Jeff, I will not forget you and what you were doing to keep us safe. I drove by your firehouse, and was touched by the purple bunting and the flags at half mast. I wanted to take a picture, but the road was too narrow and it wasn't safe to stop. There were two engines from neighboring fire departments, perhaps providing coverage to your service area.

No comments: