Thursday, June 14, 2007

Day 1: First Images of Malawi

Flying into Lilongwe, I noticed decent sized areas that were bare of vegetation except for some grass, interspersed with groupings of trees. But not large groupings of trees.

I had read that much of the trees have been cut down for firewood. I wonder if people in Malawi sell firewood for income?

The international airport near Lilongwe is small, friendly, and manageable. A bus or coach met us at the plane to take us to the terminal. I would have welcomed the walk, my knees were stiff from all those hours on an airplane. But I digress.

I meet our driver Luzu, I liked him immediately. I am looking forward to getting to know them. I know that Luzu will be with us for the two weeks.

Driving to Lilongwe, we drive on the left side of the road as they do in Britain.

Observations from the van

We went past several patches of charred ground, blackened, as if there had been a fire. I wonder what that is about?

Many, many tree stumps, some covered with foliage, perhaps new growth where the tree stump is still viable and starting to grow.

Men walking to and from a factory. It turns out to be a tobacco factory.

A few solitary huts by the side of the road.

Men selling what seemed to be corn.

Hand made furniture, table and chairs by the side of the road. Are these for sale?

Women carrying baskets on their heads, or was it water? I couldn’t tell.

Two men slaughtering an animal, while another of the same species looked on.

Many people are barefoot.

Many people walking on dirt paths along the road, one or two on bicycles.

A really cool looking lizard crawling up a brick wall.

A petrol station.

A group of pit latrines or outhouses.

Some nice flowers, what appeared to be larger "bush-like" poinsettias

Two cattle walking on a dirt path.

First dinner as a group at Wendel's Guest House. Our guest was the Honorable Marjorie Ngaunje, Minister of Health (for Malawi) and Member of Parliamet. She is one awesome lady. And her daughter Grace, another awesome lady.

Sitting here in my mosquito netting writing this on my laptop.

No comments: