Monday, January 11, 2016

An intro to El Nino

Some of you may recall that I wrote about snow in California on January 6th where I referenced El Nino. It was not until after I made that January 6th post that I found a very nice video updaing El Niño for the winter 2016 (December 18, 2015) from the NWS San Diego who has a nice Youtube Channel. If things had been different, I would have shared that video on El Niño before I wrote about the snowfalls in California on January 6th.

I like this video because Alex Tardy of the NWS NWS San Diego does a very nice job explaining what El Niño in simple language and good graphics. Of course, being from San Diego, he is focusing on El Niño's effects on the San Diego area. However, he does discuss what El Niño might mean for other areas in the U.S.

I understand that the forecasts mentioned in this video are still current for the week of January 11th. If you are arriving here later then the forecast portion of the video will likely be different but the science of El Niño should still be timely.

If you are interested in how El Niño might be affecting your region in the United States, go to the U.S. National Weather Service and look for your local forecast office.


Direct link to video

No comments: