Friday, October 21, 2016

Another look back at airtankers at Santa Barbara in 1987

I have shared some of Brian Lockett's (of http://www.Air-and-Space.com) earlier. On Jan 30, 2013 I shared the first of a five part video he did of airtanker operations at Santa Barbara (CA) on October 3, 1987. Then on July 31, 2015 I shared two more of Brian's videos, one is part 5 of his October 4th series of videos of tanker operations at Santa Barbara and the second was shot on October 5th. 

Today I am sharing part 2 of Brian Lockett's five-part series of videos of air tanker operations at Santa Barbara. I enjoy Brian's videos not only because he labels many of the tankers you will be seeing in the video, but also because he shows some commercial airliners. And at times, I hear some radio chatter in the background.

Thanks to Brian Lockett for identifying the tankers in his videos. Including among the airtankers that you will see in this video are:

  • Fairchild 123 Provider T-123
  • Douglas C-54D Skymaster T-13
  • Lockheed P2V T-12 (Neptune Aviation)
  • Lockheed P2V T-11 (Neptune Aviation)
  • Lockheed P2V-7 T-7 (Aero Union)
  • PB4Y2 Privateer T-124
  • Douglas C-54 Skymaster T-16


Direct Link to video from Brian Lockett on Youtube

As I watched the video, I found myself thinking of how wonderful it is to see some historic airtankers in action. At the same time on a somewhat sadder note I found myself reflecting on the danger involved in flying airtankers. At least one of the airtankers that you will see in the video -- Neptune Aviation's Lockheed P2-V Tanker 11 was destroyed in a crash (June 3, 2012). The flying that airtanker and helicopter pilots do when flying wildfires is risky, and they do so to support the wildland firefighters on the ground. Many pilots and crew have died flying fires, your loss is not forgotten.


No comments: