Wednesday, September 18, 2019

A closer look at Cal Fire's aviation program

I am a non-pilot member of the AOPA. Actually the AOPA makes no distinction between pilots and non-pilot's in their fee structure but for purposes of this blog it is important that I be clear that I am a non-pilot aviation enthusiast. The AOPA puts out a weekly video called AOPA Live, an interesting video about 25 to 30 minutes long with weekly aviation news. They do not only focus on general aviation as is evident by The AOPA Live episode on May 23, 2019. In that week's episode that had a report on CAL Fire's aviation program. Because the video was about 27 minutes long, I did not share it here. I recently found the clip devoted to Cal Fire's aviation program so I am sharing it here, a direct link to the clip from AOPA Live may be found here. AOPA Live has a youtube channel where I also found the video, and I am embedding that video below.

I like this video because you will hear from a S2-T pilot, Jimmy Ferreira about what is like to fly fires in an S2T. You will also learn about the Cal Fire program. While there are going to be differences between Cal Fire's S2T's and other tankers, Jimmy does give me an idea of what it is like to fly fires. Enjoy!

Thank-you Jimmy and stay safe.



Other links:
Cal Fire home page
Cal Fire Air Program
S2-T Air Tanker (pdf)
California Pilot's Association
California Pilot's Association Newsletters

No comments: