Friday, September 27, 2019

Reflections: an abnormally dry period in NJ, increased fire danger, and the New Jersey Forest Fire Service

It is a quiet but slightly warm late September day in northern New Jersey. However, after we had above average precipitation in 2018 lasting into at least the first six months of 2019, the rain faucet has been down to a trickle the last five weeks. I recorded no rain at all from August 24th through the end of that month and .85 inches to date in September. No, this is not a drought, at this point it is abnormally dry according to the U.S. Drought Monitor.


There would have been a time before I started this blog eleven years ago when my only thoughts would have that I might have to pay more attention to watering some plants and shrubs and wondering how my teenaged trees are making out. Asides from the need to do more watering, I doubt if I would have given five weeks with little rain more thought. I doubt if increased fire danger would have crossed my mind. I am a different person now.

Now I am quite aware that with the lack of rainfall over the last five weeks comes an increase in fire danger. To be clear, the National Weather Service has not, to date issued any fire weather watches or red flag warnings for New Jersey and environs, but according to the New Jersey Forest Fire much of northern New Jersey (Division A) is seeing high fire danger with stage 1 camp fire restrictions in place. Stage 1 campfire restrictions mean that
Fires directly on the ground will be prohibited unless in a prepared fire ring. Fires on mineral soil which will not endanger the forest, such as in a gravel pit, may be permitted at the discretion of the Forest Firewarden issuing the permit. A prepared fire ring must be constructed of steel, stone, brick, or concrete with a gravel or masonry base.
For more information on fire danger and restrictions in New Jersey go to this NJFFS webpage.


I am very comforted to know that with what might be an early start to the fall wildfire season they have ramped up their activities across the state to keep us as safe as possible from wildfires. All fire towers in Divisions A,B, and C have been staffed at least since Wednesday, September 25th. I am fairly certain that NJFFS wildland firefighters have been doing daily patrols, at least in northern New Jersey but perhaps in central and southern New Jersey as well.  I have not heard any information about major wildfires, and if I learn of any such activity I will report back.

I want to offer my heartfelt thanks to the New Jersey Forest Fire Service for all that they do to keep us safe here in New Jersey.

No comments: