Friday, October 25, 2019

2019 wildfire season: Kincaid and Tick Fires in California

Earlier this week I did know that much of California was forecast to see Red Flag conditions along with high winds from the north east. I first learned of the Kincaid and Tick Fires from the Apple News Feed on my iPhone and iPad. I suspect that I get news of wildfires because I spend some time on Apple News reading news articles about wildfires, so my news feed is configured to feed me these stories. However, as is often the case, news of wildfires such as the Kincaid and Tick fires will make national news, a friend of  mine who relies on over the air broadcast news asked me this morning if I knew about the Tick Fire.

As I write this, the Kincaid Fire (started on Wednesday, October 23rd) has burned 21,900 acres near Geyserville in Sonoma County. The fire is at 5 percent containment. Forty-nine structures have been destroyed and evacuations remain in place including but not limited to the Town of Geyserville.

The Tick Fire was first reported on Thursday afternoon, October 24th in near Santa Clarita in northern Los Angeles County. It has burned 4,300 acres and is at 5 percent containment.

Bill Gabbert of Wildfire Today us reporting on the Tick and the Kincaid Fires. I want to note that I am only mentioning these two larger wildfires, there have also been some smaller wildfires in California over the last couple of days, see the CAL Fire incident page for current information about wildfires burning in California, including an interactive map.

As I write this, I am thinking of all the wildland firefighters on the ground and in the air as well as their support teams. I am also thinking of the Meteorologists in the following Weather Forecast Offices in California as the do what they do to keep their residents safe:

Obtained on October 25, 2019 from https://www.weather.gov/lox/

Obtained on October 25, 2019 from https://www.weather.gov/sto/

Obtained on October 25, 2019 from https://www.weather.gov/sgx/

Obtained on October 25, 2019 from https://www.weather.gov/mtr/





No comments: