Monday, December 09, 2019

Reflections on Aero Union's P-3 Orion Air Tanker

When I started to write about aerial wildland firefighting over 10 years ago, I quickly learned about Aero Union's P-3 orion air tanker. I never had the opportunity to know one of her pilots nor did I ever meet her in person. But that does not matter because I got to know her through her reputation and through a myriad of videos of air tanker operations over wildfires. With tanks carrying up to 3,000 gallons of retardant, she was a valuable resource. I loved watching videos of her dropping on fires. Even better was watching her work wildfires in the western United States on live stream.

Those days are gone. The U.S Forest Service cancelled its contracts for Aero Union's P-3's in the summer of 2011. Bill Gabbert of Fire Aviation writes about the efforts to bring the P-3 back to wildland firefighting configuration here.

I want to honor the work of Aero Union's P-3 tankers. I can think of no better way to do so then by sharing a couple of my favorite videos. The first one has no sound For the record, there was a version with sound and a snappy musical track, but I can no longer find it online. Even without sound you will get to see the P-3  working wildfires. 



The second video was done by Scorched Sky Productions in 2011 as a tribute to Aero Union's P-3 tanker after Aero Union lost it's USFS contract.


No comments: