Monday, December 30, 2019

IMETs deployed to Australia

I checked in to Bill Gabberts Wildfire Today a little while ago after taking a little time off during the holidays. So, thanks to Bill's post of December 23rd, I am just know learning that the National Weather Service IMET Operations deployed a team of Incident Meteorologists to Australia to help the Australian Bureau of Meteorology during their horrific bushfire season. Bill also reports on about 40 wildland fire personnel from the United States that were deployed to Australia. I do not know how long this deployment lasts.


Posted by href="https://www.facebook.com/US.NationalWeatherService.IMET.gov/">US National Weather Service IMET on Monday, December 23, 2019

Over the last few days, I have been hearing more and more reports through my news feed as well as National Public Radio about the horrific bushfire season they are having in Australia. I knew that I wanted to write something about the bushfires in Australia, but was not quite sure what the focus would be. Then I learned about the deployment of NWS Incident Meteorologists, aka IMETs and I know that I had to write about their service in Australia.

I am so very proud of the IMETs as well as the wildfire personnel helping in Australia during their horrific bushfire season. I know how important good weather forecasting for fighting bushfires. The IMETs honor us with their service and their sacrifice during this holiday season. They are away from their families during the holiday season. At least I assume they are. I have been writing about IMETs for a few years know, and I want any IMETs who are reading this to know how much I respect you and the work you do. You and your colleagues at the Australian Bureau of Meteorology are working hard to provide those who are fighting the bushfires on the ground with the best possible forecasts so that they may be safe.

For all who are IMETs and wildland firefighters, stay safe everyone! I am very proud of you. Thank-you from the bottom of my heart.


No comments: