Monday, December 23, 2019

Reflections on CAL FIRE's S2-T tanker (part 2)

Long-time readers of this my blog know that I cut my teeth following wildland fires in California, partly because I knew a former CAL Fire pilot and a some current CAL Fire pilots who answered my questions and guided me in the early days of this blog. They showed me around various places on the web, nationally as well as CAL Fire sites where I could find more information. Much of my conversations with these friends were what I called background research and learning. I am forever grateful to these pilots, who are know friends. Some are still flying and when I see a video, photograph, or live stream I may sometimes get a glance at their tanker number.

So, because of those early days when I spent hours following wildfires in California through various live streams from California news stations, I will always have an affinity for CAL Fire pilots. But there is more. That is, I have some family and close friends who live in southern California. I know that the S2-T tanker pilots, CAL Fire helicopters, and other local helicopters are flying these wildfires to support the wildland firefighters on the ground. If the fire is large enough, other aerial resources either from the national fleet of tanker and helicopters, MAFFs tankers, National Guard helicopters, and other assets from California will help. The same hold for wildfires elsewhere in California. Anyway, I know that the aerial firefighters and firefighters on the ground do what they do to keep residents and businesses safe from wildfires. In regards to southern California, it is personal because of my loved ones.

I had hoped to do a little more background research to answer some questions I have about CAL Fire's S2-T tankers. But with the holiday season upon us, I decided to wait until next year. Perhaps there will be nothing new to add, but it is worth the effort. In the meantime, some of you may want to check out some of these older posts that I wrote on the S2-T tanker:

S2-T tanker (part 1) (December 16, 2019)
A closer look at CAL Fire's aviation program (September 18, 2019)
A peak inside a CAL Fire S2-T (October 15, 2010)
Reflections, S-2_T's, SEATs and initial attack (May 24, 2009)
S2-T's end of season tank maintenance (May 9, 2009)

No comments: