Wednesday, February 12, 2020

IMETs in Australia: Interview with IMET deployed in late 2019

While the recent rains in Australia have helped the efforts of firefighters on the ground to put out the bush fires in some areas of Australia (see my February 10th article) I believe that NWS Incident Meteorologists (IMETs) continue to deployed to Australia. I know that they are important work to help out the Australian Bureau of Meteorology.

A few days ago, I was very interested to read a Facebook post from the US National Weather Service IMETs (February 4th) sharing a radio interview with NWS Meteorologist Patrick Gilcrest of the NWS Weather Forecast Office in Glasgow MT. The recording is on the long side with the interview starting at about 7 minutes 30 seconds. I enjoyed hearing Patrick talk about how he was deployed to Australia and then talking about his six week service to Australia. I learned a little about some of the differences between weather forecasting in Australia and the United States. One of the  differences being that Australia is on the metric system, but there are difference in terminology that Patrick discusses.

I spent about 48 minutes listening to the interview.



direct link to soundcloud recording

No comments: