Monday, February 17, 2020

Reflections on DC-7 Tanker 62

A little over 10 years ago, I had seen a few references on the internet to Douglas DC-7 aircraft that were (and still are) used as tankers. I had always been interested in the Douglas series of aircraft, so I asked an aviation historian friend and former tanker pilot if he could help me find more information on the DC-7 Tankers. To make a long story short, he introduced me to Larry Kraus over e-mail who was the Captain (Pilot-in-Command) of T-62, under contract with the State of Oregon. What followed was an e-mail correspondence lasting about six to eight months.



Through this e-mail correspondence, Larry, who had been the PIC of T-62 for some 20 years by this time, took me up close and personal inside the DC-7 through his photos and our correspondence. He showed me the controls of the aircraft, inside and out, including the controls for dropping retardant, see this article I wrote in December 2009 for the summary of the first series I wrote, up close and personal with a DC-7 tanker. That series included several articles with some of Larry's wonderful photos of T-62. I offer it as a reference for those of you who might be interested in spending some time learning about the DC-7 tanker. I believe that T-62 continues to fly under contract with the State of Oregon with a different PIC as I believe that Larry has since retired.

I am very grateful for the time that Larry spent with me over e-mail, I can adequately describe how much I learned from Larry. He was kind and patient, answering my many questions. Thank-you Larry! I am no longer in touch with Larry, but his words and photos have stayed with me over the years. I understand that each type of tanker will operate a differently, but he did give me a good introduction to what it is like to fly fires.

Of the many articles that I wrote about T-62 with Larry’s help, the one that I hope you look at is a series that I wrote in March 2010, DC-7 Tankers in Action. I had sent him a video of T-62 and her sister DC-7 Tanker, T-66.  Larry took some time, checking his logs and some photos from a lead plane, to describe what we were seeing in the video, where he annotated some of these photos. The result was this series on DC-& Tankers in Action. But first please take a couple of minutes to read this article where Larry described how he worked with a lead plane

No comments: