Monday, September 21, 2020

2020 wildfire season: Bobcat Fire (Angeles National Forest) update (Sept 21)

On September 16 I wrote about the Bobcat Fire, at the time it had burned 44,393 acres. Due, in part to high winds couple with low humidity, as I write this the Bobcat Fire has burned 105,345 acres in rugged terrain. Evacuation orders are in place and an unknown number of residences as well as a nature center have been destroyed. As winds allowed, airtankers and helicopters continue to work the fire to support the firefighters on the ground. I offer my heartfelt prayers for all the firefighters working this and other wildfires as well as living or working in communities affected by this and other wildfires out west.


Bill Gabbert wrote a nice article on September 18th with some nice photos along with the then current situation.

The Bobcat Fire is one of many wildfires burning in the western United States. For personal reasons, it is the Bobcat Fire that I am following. I suspect that many of you have followed the Bobcat Fire and other wildfires burning in the western United States through national or international news outlets as well as you local newspapers and media outlets. I knew over the weekend that I wanted to post on the Bobcat Fire today. I thought the best way for me to do so was to embed a few videos. So if you are information overload about these fires, then you know what to do. And if you are not, then take a little time to watch these videos.

The first video is from KCBS in Los Angeles, shot on September 18th, showing some of the destruction in Juniper Hills.

Direct link to video


The second video is also from KCBS in Los Angeles from this morning. The reporters provide an update on the then current status including evacuations. In addition, they discuss the firefighters, on the ground added by aerial assets a are working to save Mt. Wilson.

Direct link to video


I end with a video uploaded by WOW Media with thirteen minutes of footage of the Bobcat Fire uploaded on September 19.

Direct link to video

No comments: