Wednesday, September 09, 2020

2020 wildfire season: reflections on severe fire season in the western United States

 I have no adequate words to offer about the devastating wildfire season in parts of the western United States. I know that the wildland fire fighters on the ground and in the air are working very hard to protect you and your homes. They are stretched to the max. I am very thankful of their efforts, not just because I have some friends and family who live out west, but because I care. I care passionately. A couple of friends of mine have commented to me about the wildfires, I thank them for noticing and for their concern. and assure them that I am paying attention but there are too many for me to even to try to write about here. The tip of the iceburg is dramatized by: (1) a fire shelter deployment last Saturday (all ok) in Bozman Montana, (2) the rescue of over 200 campers by helicopters from a remote campground in the Sierra National Forest, CA, and (3) yet another fire shelter deployment, this one in Shaver Lake California where 14 firefighters deployed shelters on September 8, 1 is in critical condition and a second is in serious condition.

Those conversations got me thinking that I wanted to take time today to acknowledge these devastating wildfires and to offer my profound thanks to all of our wildland firefighters on the ground and in the air. Thank-you from the bottom of my heart. Stay safe. You are spending time away from your families and loved ones during a pandemic no less. Your sacrifice is appreciated. Know that I care.

One picture is worth a thousand words and to that end, I offer the photographic essay by the Capital Weather Gang of the Washington Post on September 9th.

I close with a couple of videos, the first one is raw footage of homes burning near Bear Creek California, while the video is of one fire it represents the situation in many towns across the west as wildfires threaten homes and businesses. The second video is about wildfires burning in Oregon and Washington. I offer these videos as an act of prayer for all those affected by this devastating wildfire season and the wildland firefighters in the air, on the ground, and their support teams. I will remember.


Direct link to video

Direct link to video


No comments: