Monday, September 20, 2021

reflections on wildland firefighting

If you have read the about me page of my blog then you know that I am not nor have I ever been a wildland firefighter or any other kind of firefighter, nor am I licensed pilot. However, my interest in wildland firefighting whether it be on the ground or in the air is genuine. I am aware of the dangers involved in wildland firefighting on the ground and in the air. There is a reason why the wildland firefighters on the ground (aka groundpounders) where protective equipment, are trained in how to be safe, and carry and are trained in when and how to deploy fire shelters. There is also the importance of exercising safety precautions when using chain saws, and having an escape route. In spite of all that, accidents happen. Firefighters are injured and sometimes killed. 

In thinking about the dangers faced by groundpounders, I don't know about you, but I sometimes watch fire footage. Footage included structures burned, while depressing, shows the reality of what groundpounders assigned to some wildfires face. Whole towns can and have come close to being wiped out. Then there is the footage of close calls faced by ground pounders in engines or residents escaping a wildfire down a road with the raging fire on both sides, at times coming across the road. I am sure that many of you have seen such footage. I am not interested in that footage today. 

I am interested in raw wildfire footage, that is not too long, showing ground pounders with air support going about the business of fighting a wildfire and hopefully staying safe from the danger that surrounds them. I found some raw wildfire footage from KPIX CBS in San Francisco shot in July of this year of the River Fire that was then burning in Yosemite National Forest. The River Fire ultimately burned  9,656 acres and destroyed at 12 homes, see this article from the Visalia Times for more information. To the best of my knowledge, no firefighters were injured or killed on this fires, nor were any civilians injured or killed. The cause of the fire was under investigation

So I watched just under four minutes of footage of ground pounders working this fire a day or so after it was first reported. The lens of the camera allowed me to watch as an observer from the safety of my study. I get an extremely small taste of what it is like to watch ground pounders in action. But it is the best that I can do. 

I have oodles of respect for all ground pounders and for the pilots and crews working the fire from the air to support the ground pounders.  Thank-you ground pounders for all that you do in your efforts to keep us safe from wildfires. Sometimes you can not save our homes, that has to be hard. Sometimes you have to escape a dangerous situation to stay safe. And sometimes you mourn when ground pounders working the same fire die. I hope that my respect for you comes across in this post. There are times like this when I feel like my words are wholly inadequate, but my feelings and concern are genuine. In my own way, I pray daily for all of you.


Direct link to video from KPIX on Youtube

No comments: