Monday, April 25, 2022

2022 wildfire season: NWS Incident Meteorologist deployments (April 25)

As most of you know, the 2022 wildfire season is well under way across the United States, including my own state of New Jersey. Today my focus is outside of New Jersey, but if something develops in my own state, I will write another post. 

With wildfire season comes the deployments of NWS Incident Meteorologists (IMET).  Most deployments are for two weeks. I am listing the IMET deployments in the last week at the end of these paragraphs, thanks to the US National Weather Service IMET Program on Twitter. You may also find the NWS IMET Program on Facebook. This seemingly simple listing of IMET deployments takes a bit of time and comes with a lot of respect and love for the work that IMETs do to provide wildland firefighters the best possible weather forecasts so that they may be safe. IMETs save lives!

There are two sources you may go to in order to learn more about what IMETs, The first is  this great article from Weather Nation on The Role of Incident Meteorologists & Fire. Two a last year , I shared a 21 minute YouTube video called "Forecast Earth, Forecast the Inferno."

To the best of my knowledge there were no IMET deployments from April 14 to April 19. I am listing IMET deployments since April 20:NWS 

April 20

April 21 and 22 no deployments but . . . the NWS IMET Office shared this extreme fire warning from the NWS in Albuquerque, New Mexico

April 23
April 24 and 25, no deployments at the time I write this post.

No comments: