Friday, August 19, 2022

Memories of air tankers in 2009 (part 1 of 2)

 It was approximately 14 years ago, August of 2008, when I first became interested in learning more about wildland firefighting. The focus of those early entries were on what I was learning. In early 2009 I began to learn about airtanker operations thanks to the help of a few friends, current and former airtanker pilots. I took you along as I learned about the airtanker business and learned about the contractors that then had contracts with the U.S. Forest Service. I cut my teeth in 2009 into 2010 by watching live stream and other videos of Aero Union's P-3's, 10 Tanker Corp's DC-10, and Evergreen's 747 tanker flying fires. most of the videos that I am embedding below were previously shared on my blog.

In 2009, Tanker 910, operated by 10 Tanker Corp was under contract with CAL Fire, see my May 16, 2009 article for more information. Tanker 910 was capable of carrying up to 12,000 gallons of retardant though I suspect that most of the time she carried less retardant. I enjoyed watching her lay down a line of retardant. 

Direct link to 2008 video uploaded by palealien on YouTube

10 Tanker Corp is still around in 2022 and continues to fly DC 10 air tankers, download their fact sheet for more information. 10 Tanker has four DC 10 tankers -- T 910, 911, 912, and 914 -- in their fleet. Her current retardant capacity is 9,400 gallons. I believe that 10 tanker corp has contracts with the US Forest Service as well as State agencies.

I will never forget watching Evergreen's 747 tanker link up and drop a long line of retardant on the 2009 Station Fire in southern California. You will have to take my word for this as the video is no longer available. I recall watching a live stream of this drop on one of the Southern California TV News outlets, awesome. While that video that so impressed me is no longer available, check out this 2009 video 

Direct link to video from elvladyman on YouTube

According Bill Gabbert's May 2, 2014 Fire Aviation post Evergreen's 747 was not under contract in 2014. Sometime later, I don't recall exactly when and I have no link at the moment, I believe that this 747 was no longer operated by Evergreen.  A newer 747 tanker, T-944,  operated by 747 supertanker  began operations sometime in 2017 and had some contracts but ceased operations in April 2021, see Bill Gabbert's April 23, 2021 article. On September 3, 2021 Bill Gabbert reported that a 747 tanker, owned by Logistic Air, is expected to return to service for wildland firefighting by late 2022, see Bill's May 4, 2022 for updated information.

Finally, I enjoyed watching AeroUnion's P-3 tanker (3,000 gallon retardant capacity) fly fires. Sadly, the U.S. Forest Service terminated its contract with Aero Union for their P-3's in August 2011 and shut down operations a few months later after selling off their assets including some of their P-3s (see my January 18, 2012 article)

Enjoy this tribute to the P-3 tanker from Scorched Sky Productions.

Direct link to video on YouTube from Scorched Sky Productions

Another air tanker company, Neptune Aviation had contracts with the US Forest Service in 2009 and is still in business  flying airtankers. I will write about Neptune Aviation on August 22. Stay Tuned

No comments: