Wednesday, April 03, 2024

2024 Wildfire Season: Air Tanker Spring maintenance

When I was first learning about general aviation 13 years ago, and going on scenic rides, one of my key takeways was the importance of regular maintenance of aircraft. As I recall, the maintenance of the small planes that I was familiar was guided and mandated by FAA requirements with different maintenance and inspections being done at regular intervals  (hours flown) and signed of by an Airframe and PowerTrain Mechanic. More complicated and thorough inspections and maintenance were called for at longer intervals. But things like oil changes and the like were done at shorted intervals. But I am not writing about maintenance of general aviation airplanes and if I were, I would have to brush up on the requirements.

I am writing about spring maintenance done by contractors on contract with the US Forest Service, or at least two contractors, Coulson and Neptune. I am not privy to what is done in a spring maintenance, nor am I privy to the more routine maintenance that is done through the period when the tanker is on contract. Also, I am not ignoring helicopters on contract with various agencies that fly fires but I have no information on maintenance by helicopter contractors. I am certain that the contractors maintain their helicopters and may also engage in spring maintenance.

I did recently note on Facebook, two companies with US Forest Service Contracts making a post about spring maintenance. What is important is that spring maintenance occurs and while I don't know specific maintenance and inspection procedures, I want to share these two posts about taking time for winter/spring maintenance before individual tankers go on contract.

Coulson Aviation



Neptune Aviation


No comments: