Tuesday, February 10, 2009

About AT-802F: Part 1

The single engine AT-802F, manufactured by Air Tractor, is widely used both in the United States and globally for wildland fire fighting for retardant and water/foam drops. The 802F is Air Tractor’s fire fighting model, equipped with special equipment adapted for wildland fire fighting, I’ll get to that a little later. There is also an 802, without this special fire fighting equipment, that is used primarily for agricultural use such as crop dusting. Go here for Air Tractor’s page on the AT-802. The “A” suffix added to the end, e.g. AT-802FA or AT-802A means that it is a single seat cockpit. There is an 802 and 802F that come equipped with amphibious gear for landing on water. These models are known as the AT-802 Fire Boss and the AT-802F Fire Boss.

Air Tractor has a web page on the AT-802F . I posted a link to the later page a couple of days ago, so if you have not checked out, check it out now. If for no other reason than to see some spectacular pictures of the 802F and the 802F Fire Boss in action.

I will be writing about the AT-802F (either the single-seat cockpit version or the two-seat cockpit version) as well as the AT-802F “Fire Boss”. These Air Tractor models have what is known as the Air Tractor Fire Retardant Delivery System (FRDS). I refer you to this link for more information on the AT-FRDS II system. I think it is self explanatory. What is notable about the FRDS system (aka the FRDS air tanker door system) is that it is the only SEAT door system that is approved for use by the Interagency Airtanker Board (IAB). All aircraft contracted for use for wildland fire fighting by the U.S. Forest Service (USFS) and the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) and other cooperating federal must meet IAB standards. TL Stein, aviation historian, tells me that
there are other systems available, including home-made systems in use that are not USFS or BLM approved. These other systems may be used by State aircraft or other 802’s not available for a nationwide tanker contract. Generally, the after-market and home made conversions are done on older aircraft where the installation of a FRDS system is not economically feasible or needed.

For a very good and short video of an 802F in action, including shots of the FRDS, check out this youtube video.

updated information (as of January 28, 2010). At the time that I wrote the above, I only knew about one approved SEAT door system approved by the IAB, the FRDS I system. Sometime in the last few months a newer model of the FRDS SEAT door system -- FRDS II -- was put on the market. At the time I wrote the original article, there was information available on the web through Air Tractor (I believe) on the FRDS I gate system that I linked to in February 2009. That link has since expired. With the advent of the FRDS II system I have not been able to find any obvious information on the net about the FRDS I system that is still being used in many AT-802F's (e.g. Queen Bee's). Moreover, I recently found out that there is another computerized SEAT gate system that has preliminary approval by the IAB, known as the Hatfield Gate. I expect to writing about the Hatfield Gate system in early February 2010, so stay tuned.

No comments: