Sunday, February 01, 2009

prescribed fire or burns

Yesterday, I made reference to the fact (through supplied links as well as my text) to the role of helicopters in prescribed fire or burns without making reference to exactly what prescribed burns are. So, I offer three links, two State Forest Fire Agencies (NJ and Florida) and to the Everglades National Park where prescribed burns have been in place for quite a few years. I think that by reading this information you will get an idea of how prescribed burns are used, and what is involved in planning for prescribed burns.

1. New Jersey Forest Fire Service on prescribed burns (there is a link to video, I could not play the video when I checked the link, perhaps you will have better luck. I did watch this video several weeks ago and it is good.

2. Florida Dept. of Agriculture and Consumer Services, Division of Forestry, Wildland Fire on prescribed burns.

3. Everglades National Park on prescribed burns.

This is not to imply that these are the only agencies doing prescribed burns, these are just the links that I had handy.

No comments: