Monday, January 13, 2014

Update on icing in NJ Rivers including Delaware

Last Thursday I wrote here about an ice jam in the Delaware River in Trenton NJ/Morrisville PA. To the best of my knowledge that particular ice jam had weakened by last Friday.

I was busy on Friday and Saturday making river ice observations on a River near my house for the National Weather Service. I had seen some larger ice chunks covering half the channel near a bridge abutment and another smaller area of large ice chunks near a bend in the River. With the anticipation of a warm up with what may have been a heavy rainfall last Saturday I have to admit that I was a little concerned about ice jams. Fortunately, the rainfall was lighter than predicted and when I went out early Sunday morning to look at my river, the large chunks were gone with no apparent flooding.

So if you were wondering what happened to me last Friday and Saturday, now you know. I'll be back later today with another post.

No comments: