Friday, August 29, 2008

My trip to the Pine Barrens

We had a great day in the Pine Barrens yesterday. I got many pictures that I have to go through before I post my first batch. I hope to have the first batch ready tomorrow.

We walked for almost four miles in two different places, one of which was Penn State Forest, the one I wrote about recently. Those will be the first group of pictures that I post.

As for chigger prevention. Knock on wood is all I will say right now. . . I sprayed my socks, the skin under my socks and the bottom of my jeans. Then I tucked the jeans into my socks, and looked like an idiot. But I hope it kept those nasty little creatures away. When we got home, I took what I call my "uninvited guest" shower to wash off chiggers and ticks.

We drove about 300 miles all told, and we were both tired when we got home.

As we were driving home, I kept thinking that I saw smoke that looked an awful like smoke coming from a fire. And it turned out I was right, I saw a small article about the fire in my local newspaper, The Star Ledger. It turns out that the fire was in a remote section of the Fort Dix military base, located near the Pine Barrens. See this article and a second updated article, that will be freely available for 14 days or through September 12. At this point, the blaze is confined to a couple of hundred acres wholly within the military base and is no threat to the public.

At least I know that my instincts were right about the smoke that I saw yesterday.

No comments: