Wednesday, August 20, 2008

time out: tractor pulls at County Ag Fair

Today is the first day of our local 4H Agriculture Fair. This morning we went to see the farm tractor pull. The concept is simple, tractors are grouped into weight classes and pull a weighted sled. I went to my first tractor pull at the Orleans County Fair in Vermont several years ago.

I suspect that some of you are wondering what a tractor pull is, I found this brief piece giving an historical perspective as well as this wikipedia article. The tractors competing in the tractor pulls at my local 4H Ag fair are what they call farm stock tractors. They are not souped tractors but ordinary farm equipment with stock engines. For more information go here.

There were a fair amount of people at the tractor pull this morning. Some like us were just spectators, others were rooting for their friends or family members.

The farm tractor pulls are going on all day into the evening. We are going back to the fair this evening for dinner and to watch more tractor pulls. I'll try to get some pictures.

No comments: