Thursday, January 22, 2009

Wildfire Magazine

I followed through on Bill Gabbert's comment to my blog earlier this week and have checked out Wildfire Magazine. As you may recall, it is the official publication of the International Association of Wildland Fire. A big plus is that at least some articles from issues dating back approximately six years are freely available. This is a big plus because I don't seem to able to have electronic access to the publication through my local library. I have downloaded a few articles, and have enjoyed what I have read.

For example, one of the nagging questions that I have had in some of my reading is wondering about some of the engines that are used in wildland fires. One example being that I had read about type 6 engines, wondering what they might be, and I found an answer in an article in the Sept. 2008 edition of Wildfire Magazine, Match Maker, where they describe seven types of engines as defined by the incident command system. Now, I was not necessarily planning on writing in my blog about engines used in wildland fire fighting, at least not now. But as I continue with my reading and my research on wildland fire fighting, I am slightly more familiar with some of the terminology in regards to engines. And that is always a good thing.

No comments: