Saturday, January 31, 2009

Huey's: part 2

In earlier posts I have written that Huey’s (and similar classes of helicopters) are used for water drops on wildfires and transporting wildland firefighters to remote or inaccessible areas to fight wildfires. To answer the question of how Huey’s may be used by wildland firefighters, I offer links to two webpages, California and Florida.

A word about California’s state fire agency, CAL Fire. CAL fire is what is known as an all risk fire department. I recently had the opportunity to ask a CAL fire employee what an all risk fire department is. He said:

An all risk fire department means that whatever type of an incident there is, CAL Fire is trained to handle it. Schedule A stations are counties in california that have contracted the state to handle there fire protection services so they are county employees but CAL FIRE trained. Schedule B are the Wildland guys. There primary concern is for wildland fires but can still go on house fires traffic accidents medical aides any emergency that may pop up.


The reason why I am mentioning the all risk aspect of CAL Fire is because CAL Fire Huey’s are used for non-fire emergency missions. You will note the mention of the non-fire emergency use of Huey’s when you go here to read about the CAL Fire Huey’s (loaned to CAL Fire through FEPP). This pdf file also has some specs for their Huey’s. Note that you will need adobe acrobat or some other pdf viewer in order to read this file.

Speaking about my own State of New Jersey, the New Jersey Forest Fire Service (NJFFS) is available to respond to non-fire missions. For example, they helped with some tree work in the aftermath of a recent ice storm that left thousands of homes with out power in Sussex County New Jersey. I suspect that the NJFFS would make their Huey’s available to respond to non-fire emergencies as appropriate.

In my wonderings on the internet learning about and researching wildfires, I always find myself looking to say what is happening in Florida. I recently did a search and found a short description (and a couple of pictures) of how the Florida Dept. of Forestry uses aircraft on this page. They refer to aerial ignition, you may go here to find a brief definition (just scroll down and you will see the definition. I believe but am not sure that aerial ignition can be used in both prescribed burns and in fighting wildland fires. I'll try to find out some more specifics about aerial ignition and make a post about it.

In the meantime, I'll write about bambi buckets in a day or so.

2 comments:

firefighter08 said...

Tyler - if you have an interest, read my new novel about wildland firefighters in CA. It's like a docudrama. The firefighters love it and Chief Freeman of LACoFD read it and sent copies to the LA County Board of Supervisors.
Its called One Foot in the Black, available on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/One-Foot-Black-Kurt-Kamm/dp/1435706269/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224838410&sr=1-1

I also have a fire website
http://www.kurtkamm.com

Thanks

Random Ramblings NJ said...

Kurt,

I look forward to checking out your novel about wildland firefighters in javascript:void(0)CA. I may have seen reference to your novel somewhere on the 'net.