Tuesday, March 10, 2009

About retardant, foams, and water enhancers: part 1

Recently when referring to chemicals that are dropped on fires by SEATs or multi-engine tankers, I was referring to retardant drops. However, I think that there are three different types of wildland fire chemicals used in aerial fire fighting. These are long-term retardants, foam fire suppressants, and water enhancers. Definitions of these three chemicals can be found on this U.S. Forest Service webpage.

If I understand correctly, foam fire suppressants do what the name implies, suppressing fires. I have written elsewhere in this blog about the AgCats owned by the contractor, Downstown, that has the SEAT contract with the NJ Forest Fire Service. I am fairly certain that the AgCats use a foam fire suppressant. Water enhancers are also suppressants, I understand that water enhancers can be quite effective when used in air tanker drops. Retardants, which are usually colored red, retard or slow the growth of the fire.

In my next post, I will provide a little more detail on the three chemicals used in aerial fire fighting.

No comments: