Thursday, March 19, 2009

Preparing retardant: part 1

Before an air tanker drops retardant on a fire, the retardant has to be mixed and loaded on the air tanker. In this post, I will write in general terms about the mixing of the retardant.

I would like to start by thanking TL Stein for our ongoing e-mail correspondence on aerial fire fighting. In this case, for his help in providing me with some information about the mixing and loading of retardants.

On the theory that a picture, or in this case a video is worth a thousand words, I want to start with this you tube video on mixing retardant. The video refers to retardant used by MAFFS C-130. I will be writing about the use of military C-130’s in aerial fire fighting in about a week or so. A special unit called the MAFFS is put on the back of the military C-130 before the plane can be used for retardant drops.

you tube video on retardants used by MAFFS

Prior to watching this video, I really did think that retardants were akin to “red goo”. Honest. I even used the “red goo” description in describing this aspect of aerial fire fighting because most have seen air tankers making retardant drops on various media clips. After watching the video I wonder if I am not so far off in thinking about retardants about “red goo.”

No comments: