Friday, December 04, 2009

Kaman K-MAX



When I was coming up with the list of type 1 helicopters that I just finished writing about, I came upon the Kaman K-MAX. If you have watched the video that I have embedded from the July 2009 airshow in Binghamton NY, then you have seen that the K-MAX has no tail rotor. The K-MAX is a different kind of helicopter using something that is known as synchropter technology where there are contra-rotating, inter-meshing rotor blades. In this design, a tail rotor is not necessary.

The K-MAX is designed for heavy lifting, where it is rated to lift 6,000 pounds with its cargo hook. For specifications, go here. A couple of videos, including a ten minute video introducing the K-MAX, "K-MAX around the world" may be found on this Kaman K-MAX web page. This same video may be found on you tube, I'll make a post embedding that video a little later.

The fire fighting version of the K-MAX is known as the FIREMAX. The FIREMAX has a 700 gallon fixed tank, and I believe that it also has the capacity for bucket operations although I'm not sure how large the bucket is.

Aviastar has a page with information about the K-MAX at this location.

No comments: