Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Sikorsky S-64/CH54


Direct link to video


Direct link to video


Direct link to video

I have written extensively about the Erickson Air Crane, so you may recall that Erickson purchased the manufacturing rights and type certificate for the Sikorsky S-64E and S-64F from Sikorsky in 1992. You may also recall that the S-64 is the civilian version of the military CH-54. In addition to manufacturing "new" Aircranes, Erickson refurbishes military CH-54 for civilian use.

Some photos and specifications of the CH-54 may be found here. Wikipedia's entry on the CH-54 may be found here.

As I end this series on type 1 helicopters, I wanted to mention that there are some S-64 "Skycranes" that are flying that are not Erickson Aircranes. Most of these are refurbished military CH-54's. One of these Skycranes is shown in the video.

Edited and updated on November 20, 2017: the video that I originally embedded here is no longer available, so I have embedded three short videos of the CH-54, two are stock footage from Vietnam and the last is from a 1991 airshow. In addition, I have removed two dead links and replaced the links with what I hope is similar information.

No comments: