Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Up close and personal with DC-7 tankers: reflections

See, I told you it is complicated, Nothing is ever easy in the tanker business. (Larry Kraus to K. Tyler Miller).

What can I say about this magnificent airplane, her pilots, co-pilots and all those behind the scenes who keep Butler's three DC-7 tankers in the air, flying fires? I can say that I feel an affinity for these tankers because of their original service as commercial airliners. I don't know if I ever flew on a DC-7, but I was a passenger on planes of a similar size and vintage. So, in some sense, even before I began the series on the DC-7, I had a relationship with these aircraft.

What I have gained from writing about these aircraft is a love for these three tankers. Three tankers that I call magnificent. It has been a joy to get to know these tankers up close and personal. I also know that these tankers are loved by their pilots, co-pilots, those in the shop who maintain the planes, and the ground crews. A bond between humans and aircraft that ensures that these fire engines in the sky are flying. A bond that ensures that some of us can get to know these magnificent aircraft up close and personal.

There is a another bond, that is the bond among fire fighters, both in the air and on the ground. I think of this bond as the raison d'etre. Larry speaks of this bond:
We have a bond with the other fire fighters that we work with, both in the air and on the ground. There is a mutual respect similar to that which develops in a military unit that has been in combat. It's always a pleasure to work with people who know their jobs. We all know that we can depend on each other and we do so every day. There's a great deal of satisfaction in being a useful part of that team.
Nothing is simple in the world of flying tankers, those fire engines in the sky. I have learned a lot in writing this series about the DC-7 including but not limited to weights and balances, a view inside the cockpit, quick engine changes (Q.E.C.), and multiple door retardant systems. These are important, but the most important point that I want to pass on to you is what Larry kept saying to me over and over in our e-mail correspondence:
See, I told you it is complicated, Nothing is ever easy in the tanker business.
Larry should know, he has been piloting DC-7 tankers for some 27 years.

No comments: