Saturday, September 11, 2010

Fourmile Canyon Fire



I have been aware of the Fourmile Canyon Fire, burning five miles west of downtown Boulder CO, for a few days now. After writing yesterday about the houses lost as a result of the explosion of the gas main in San Bruno, CA I knew that I had to write about this fire. Not just because of the video that I embedded above (Sept. 8, CBS4 in Denver), but because I knew that residence had been lost in this fire. According to the Sept. 10 update from inciweb, 172 structures have been lost, of these 169 were residences.

According to the latest update (Sept 11) from inciweb the fire has burned 6,427 acres and is at 56 percent containment with seven minor injuries. The fire started on Sept. 6.

The main incident page on inciweb for this fire may be found here, there is a map showing the location of the fire, links for news reports, photos, satellite imagery, etc.

I am sorry for those who lost their homes in this fire, and relieved that injuries to date have been minor. I again offer this post as a sign of my thoughts and prayers.

postcript: If you are seeing test annotations in the video, I apologize. If you see them, you should be able to turn them off by clicking on the triangle on lower right of the video. You will see three icons, click on the top one and that should turn off text annotations. Alternatively, I found a copy of the video on the video archive page of CBS4 Denver, you may go here to view this video online. As always, I don't know how long that link will be active.

No comments: