Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Herriman Fire: update

The other day, I wrote about the Herriman Fire here and here. Sometime yesterday, I saw this inciweb page for the Herriman Fire including a map and news reports (the last one posted yesterday evening). I saw a report earlier today on KTSU (fox13now):
  • the fire was at 50 percent containment,
  • a little over 4,300 acres have burned,
  • four National Guard Blackhawks worked the fire yesterday,
  • a lightning storm moved into the fire,
  • ground and air crews worked hard during yesterday's Red Flag conditions, with the fire seeing minimal if any growth,
  • flooding may be a concern and firefighters were pulled off the line during the storms this morning.
  • some residents were allowed back into their homes yesterday and evacuation remained in place, at least through this afternoon for others.
The bereadyHerriman twitter site just reported (I am writing this at 5:31 PM EDT), that all evacuation orders will be lifted at 4PM.

According to the latest update on inciweb -- yesterday evening -- the following resources were used:
  • 400 personnel (estimated)
  • 35 engines
  • 7 crews
  • 2 helicopters
  • 2 single engine air tankers (SEATs)
  • 3 heavy air tankers
  • 6 dozers
Note that I wrote that four National Guard Blackhawk helos were used on the fire yesterday. I think, but am not sure, that they are not included in the numbers from inciweb. A temporary flight restriction is in place around the fire.

Some of the news reports that I have seen include short clips of air tankers (I think it was a P-2), a helo and bucket, and a National Guard Blackhawk helo working the fire. Even though I have no clips to show you here, it sounds to me like the airtankers and helos (including the National Guard Blackhawks) have played an important role in working this fire in support of the ground crews.

No comments: