Monday, September 13, 2010

Miranda Fire part 1 of 3

Larry Kraus, pilot of Butler’s DC-7 T-62, has been on contract with the Oregon Department of Forestry since early July. Some of you will recall that I have written a couple of series of articles on T62: articles about DC-7 tankers and articles about T62 in action. Larry and I have been in touch since he went on contract. He gave me some information about one of the fires that T62 flew. This was the Miranda Fire, first reported on Thursday July 22. It was located about 10 miles east of Chiloquin, Oregon. It eventually burned about 50 acres before the fire was fully lined later that evening, go here and here for more information on that fire.



I am going to start with the location of the fire, before discussing the approximate route that Larry took to get to the fire in part 2. Part 3 focuses on retardant drops on the Miranda Fire.

Larry gave me the latitude and longitude of the fire which I used to plot the fire in google earth.

Next up, flying to the fire.

Note: As a point of reference, the Miranda Fire is located at 42 degrees 37.4757 minutes north and 121 degrees 40.3301 minutes west.

No comments: